Our typical job consists in stripping off the existing shingle material to the roof decking, (plywood or boards), preparing the decking to accept the new shingles, and applying the new shingles.
Stripping the roof is the noisiest, messiest part of the job. We start by covering your shrubs and plantings with tarps. This helps prevent damage and makes clean up easier. The tarps also protect the sides of your home from debris. The debris is continually being picked up and put into our dump trailer.
Occasionally some debris and dirt will get into your attic. This depends on whether you have plywood or boards, and how tight they are. If there are things that need to be covered in the attic, and you need help, let us know please.
There is a lot of banging going on; some people take pictures or mirrors off the walls on the upstairs.
We only strip off as much roofing in any day as we can put back on. That way we aren't leaving your house unprotected overnight. Very rarely does weather move in unexpectedly and catch us short. If it should happen, we would tarp it and make it weather tight for the evening.
After the roof is stripped we start to prep it for the new shingles.
- We re-nail the roof decking as required to insure we have a solid surface to work from.
- We apply a 6' strip of an ice barrier,(Tamko or equal,)at the eaves, to combat water seepage caused by ice dams, as well as around chimneys, skylights, vents, valleys and any other areas susceptible to leaking.
- We re-flash the chimney as required.
- We apply a layer of synthetic roof under layment.
- We apply metal drip edge at the rake and eaves.
After the prep is finished, we move on to the shingles.
- We apply a starter course at the rake and eaves.
- We typically apply 40 year warranty architectural shingles by Certainteed or equal. Certainteed shingles are algae resistant.
- We apply new step flashing as needed.
- We apply new flashing at plumbing vents.
- We apply a continuous ridge vent to help ventilate your attic properly.
- We might also install other types of attic venting if your job requires it.
While the roof is going on, cleanup continues on the ground.
- We clean out your gutters.
- Pick clean and rake out your bushes etc.
- Rake the part of your lawn where we've been working.
- Pick up all of our debris that may have blown around the yard.
- Go over the area with a magnetized pick up tool to get the nails raking might miss.
Although the process is different for rubber roofs, the same attention to detail is used to ensure you get a great job.
The average sized home is completed in less than a day. Of course weather has an effect on the time required to complete the job.
While each roof is slightly different, the above holds true most of the time.